Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Long week!

Saturday was a protest march against the austerity measures being taken by the Quebec government. 10 people were arrested before it even started and charged with conspiracy and possession of a weapon, for sitting on the grass and wearing black. On Monday there was a march to the municipal court and the palais de justice to demand their release. The 10 had their court date that day at 2pm but I didn't make it, I ended up falling asleep at home.
Later that evening I went to UQAM with Dreads and met with Cinema Politica there and watched Dive which is a fun documentary about dumpstering. Dreads and I brought a whole box of found cheese and some others had prepared fruits, vegetables, muffins and dips (all dumpstered). The movie was ok I had seen it before with my parents but I enjoyed it still, there was a quick discussion afterward, which was interesting.
Later in the night I went to Katakombes with Chef and Crow, once we got there we ran into Rainbow and Crass. There were lots of awesome bands (five played that night, all for Radical Queer Semaine), I really liked the Sissy Fist (check out their song welfare http://www.myspace.com/sissyfist) and the Mistake Makers (http://www.myspace.com/mistakemakers). The night was rad, there was good moshing and I ran into a bunch of friends through out. I even kissed someone!
Woke up today, kinda worried. Today was the march in protest of police brutality. Last time I went I just managed to not get arrested (mostly by running through alleys and a bit of climbing). I talked to Kunoichi and we got ready to meet everyone (she took forever, bleh). Dreads was there, as were, Rainbow, Crass, a friend we met recently Kunoichi and I, we got into pairs (I was with Dreads) then headed off.
Once there we mostly stuck to our pairs. There was less people than we expected. Once we started marching things were going fine, and people were chill. However once we arrived on St Denis the cops kettled the majority of the crowd. Stuck between two lines of riot cops people threw projectiles and demanded to be let out. Cops completely ignored the demands, held up their shields and shot off a few stun grenades, yay cops, the kings of douchebaggery!
Luckily a apartment building that was between the two lines was opened somehow and by running through the parking garage and back up some stairs one could arrive into an alley behind the building :D
Some running ensued, a fence was climbed, friends were joined in the process and not long after we had made good our escape (not all of us mind you, at least a hundred people were arrested).
Dreads, the two friends we ran into and I went back to the house and ate and tried to figure out what happened to our friends. After a while everyone went home tired. Final results:
Everyone is free
Rainbow and Crass (and Igs who showed up during the march) were held in the kettle and dropped off at random points in the city and fined $488.
Our friends' friends are fine, as am I and Dreads is good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment