Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Operation: Headlights


This is an exploration op that I've been waiting to do for a while. There are a few buildings in a park near where I hang out a bit that are gated off, I always wanted to find out what that was about. Tonight I had the opportunity to check it out.
Gear:
Me:
Black tank top
Woodland BDU pants
Woodland bandanna on the face
Black water sneakers
Folding knife
Cipher:
Black and brown camo Jacket
Black short sleeve
Black cargo pants
Grey sneakers
Phone

We were chilling with some friends outside when I told cipher we should split off and check out a place in the park. He was already in the gear listed above because I told him I planned on sneaking around. We left and walked towards the park, along it and then into it. Once in the park we see a cop car driving away from us, we slow down and let it pass away.
We head to some bushes, behind them is a tall chain link, I tell Cipher that I'll climb it, check out the other side and then have him climb over.
I get to the top of the fence, look around and then drop down and get behind a truck. I was surrounded by lots of park vehicles (trucks, cars, garbage trucks etc) and shipping containers. I sneak between the cars until I see a clearing of just dirt. I peek around and see an open gate to a huge parking lot, straight ahead is a large pile of dirt and wood chips. I go back to the fence and tell Cipher to climb over. He gets over with the help of a tree.
We slip through the trucks and after listening and looking cross the clearing to the pile of dirt. We get on top of the pile and hear noises from behind it so we freeze for a while (there are bushes between us and the sounds so we're invisible), I then move to the edge of the pile and look into the huge car lot, seeing no one, lots of cover and only dim lighting I tell Cipher that we're going to continue, as I crawl back my knee acts up and I pop it back into place after I get back to the bottom of the pile. We noticed that the pile was really warm and steam was coming out it at some spots, maybe compost does that or maybe there was something weird about it... I move behind two trucks to the gate and wait for Cipher.
While I'm waiting I hear the wind in the trees but also a car approaching, I get under the truck I'm crouching near and Cipher does as well behind me. We see some headlights hit a shipping container then turn away from us and deeper into the parking lot. We decide to continue anyway.
After waiting a bit to make sure no other cars are headed our way we head into the big lot and get under a big truck. Underneath the truck I explain to Cipher that we're not gonna do lots of small sprints between cover because that's the kind of thing that gets seen out of the corner of the eye, we're going to take a slow approach behind the parked vehicles along the fence I looked over while on the pile of dirt. We do just that.
We hit the last vehicle a large street trolley and get under it and plan our next move, a car goes by the headlights hit us but we're ghosts and it keeps driving by. There's a fence to our left, a building in front of us after a few meters of empty space and more cars to out right but they're well lit. There is light spilling from around the right of the building and a camera on top of it overlooking the parking lot we snuck through, good thing we didn't dart about and took it slow :mrgreen: . We decided to crawl along the fence to the building and peek around the corner to see where all the lights coming from. We QM along the fence and get behind a metal box that's along the building, then I move to a car that's close to the building and lay in it's shadow before getting behind a palet that's leaning on the building. Cipher did the same up until the car part, but he had to dive behind a tiny parking lot car stopper cement thing when a car drove by. After waiting around and peeking around a bit and conferencing with hushed voices Cipher thought (correctly) that we should continue via rooftop after I informed him that there was a running truck with it's head lights pointing our way and a security cam doing the same.
Originally I was going to climb up by using the air conditioner but I didn't trust it and took the fence which turned out to be easier. I moved around a bit on the roof and then Cipher showed up. I've been on a lot of roofs and of all of them I'd have to say this one is the worst, it was loud with gravel but the gravel was half attached to the roof with tar, it was painful to crawl and QM on, even QM was relatively loud (by my standards anyway). We moved along the roof, there were many sky lights, each covered with a metal mesh cage that was padlocked. We QM to the corner of the building where the wall is broken allowing us to look around instead of over, we spot another camera that faces the space between our building and another one across a road from us, good thing we didn't stay on the ground. At this point we split up and agree upon a signal to reunite.
I go on my way and explore a certain section of roof that can get us onto the ground and also out of the compound. Cipher goes to see if he can find a way into the building and to pee. After a few minutes I hear some movement behind me and see a cellphone near one of the sky light cages, I move towards Cipher and we discuss out findings in hushed voices, as the people inside the building we are on blast Spanish music, making our quest for silence that much easier. I tell Cipher that I found a way out but no way to the other buildings without being seen on camera. Cipher tells me that we found no way into the building and I tell him it's for the better since we don't have gloves and he has no mask.
We crouch walk behind some overhanging branches to the edge of the roof as close to the fences we need to climb to get out. There are two fences to climb. One is short the other is tall, I climb one, grab the second one, climb up and then down the other side then wait in the bushes for Cipher to do the same. When he's down we wait around a bit then head to our friends.
For those who don't know QM is quadrupedal movement (balls of the feet and heels of the hands).
Lessons learned:
Unless you're spotted then no car is even trying to be vigilant.
Security cameras never cover roofs.
People still don't look up.

Had a great time, stayed invisible, and finally got to see what the compound I had walked past so many times was actually like.

1 comment:

  1. Man this is pure awesome, I am really glad you recorded this so I can have the fond memories :)

    ReplyDelete